Monday, August 6, 2012

Doughnut's and Waterfalls - what could be better?


Vegan Voodoo Dozen
We started out today in Portland. Yesterday we saw tons of people lined up outside of Voodoo Doughnuts. We were both a little curious as to why people would stand in long lines in 90 degree weather, imagine our excitement to notice that there was one almost across the street from where we were staying. With NO line! We went in and to my surprise and delight they had vegan doughnuts. They were really good. I got aVegan Voodoo Dozen, which if you are counting is a baker's dozen (13).

Almost my favorite kind of donut. This one tasted kind of like a Boston Creme. I like the ones with the frosting in the middle best, or at least I used to.


Deb with her Baker's Dozen, not vegan

After downing 3 doughnuts (me) and 2 (Deb), we headed off to Powell's City of Books. They have over a million books. The store is 4 stories tall and encompasses an entire city block. It was a writers/book lover's paradise.
 


Heading into the city!
Browsing in the city


My haul, I also had a few postcards making 10 items for $54.
I couldn't wait to see the quirkeys that I bought. So cute.

After saying goodbye to Powell's we headed for the land of the waterfalls. We first stopped at Multnomah Falls to see this often photographed waterfall.

Up next was Horsetail Falls. From the road you can see the bottom half of Horsetail Falls, it was a little less than a mile hike (round trip) to the upper part of the falls. Deb was willing to walk to that part with me.


Upper Horsetail falls
Lower Horsetail falls
Amie behind the falls.


 From here I was on my own. I hiked another 4.5 miles (round trip) almost directly up the hill, but what goes up must come down. Shortly after leaving Deb to strike out on my own, I came across a marker a little off the trail indicating that it was in memory of a hiker stating "He fell from a cliff east of Horsetail Falls".




I will admit I was more cautious being on my own after seeing this sign.  I came across a downed tree in the trail, and considered turning back, but I soldiered on. There was a bridge at one point in the trail that caused me to stop and ponder the effort that it must have taken to build it. I was especially grateful that I was not one of the first people to journey this particular trail. I came across another smaller waterfall at the bridge, but it wasn't marked. I am not positive, but it looks like it might be the lower portion of the Oneonta Falls.



From there it was another 1.2 miles( one way) to the Triple Falls. It was pretty awesome to see. Here is a picture below to save you the 6 mile hike.

Since I ran out of water on the way back, I would recommend that you take more than a single bottle of water with you. I don't know what I was thinking trying to hike 4.5 miles with less than a full bottle of water. I did notice a small stream, so I filled my bottle part of the way. The water looked clear and tasted good, so I drank it. Best of all it was cold.

 We stopped at a Thai Restaurant for dinner, but the food was terrible. The only thing we ordered that was any good was the vegetable spring rolls. It took them almost an hour to bring us our food and when mine came it was swimming in a peanut sauce that tasted like melted peanut butter. and  It is a good thing we don't live closer, because I won't be back. We stopped for the night at a Relax Inn in Pendelton, OR. We are officially headed east. It will be a lot of driving tomorrow. I will try to find a few interesting things/places to stop and see. Come back tomorrow for more of the adventure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment