Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 3 - August 3rd The Rainforest

Since we stayed at a B&B or what was billed as one we got breakfast, which for Deb was pretty good but for me not so much. Everything was cooked in Butter, which means I couldn't eat it. The lady was warned before she started cooking, but didn't seem to care. Typical. Anyways it would have been nice to have been able to eat the hash browns. There was a not quite ripe cantaloupe and some orange slices. About half way through the meal I noticed a pot of something that looked like really dry oatmeal. She said it was seven grain cereal and just cooked in water so I tried it. I mean by this point I was really hungry. It was interesting (meaning I didn't like it).

Once we got packed up we headed to the Rain Forest. We did a couple shorter hiking trails. I would have liked to have done the one to the glacier, but it was already 11 am and the trail was 18 miles long, so we skipped it. Maybe I can come back at some point and do it. We went through a trail called the Hall of Mosses and it was pretty, but just not quite what I expected it to be based on the name. I am too literal sometimes and I know it. Here are some pictures.





  From there we stopped at a place called the Hard Rain cafe to look for some food. Really all they had was salad, which I was sure would be iceberg lettuce (not my favorite) and fries that I could eat, so I ordered Deb and I each a fry while she was in the bathroom. They were pretty good just your basic fries. When the girl saw Deb's girls camp shirt she said that she had a friend serving in the Jacksonville mission and if we were to meet him to say hello. So if you are reading this and have an elder in your ward from this area please help me pass along the greetings from home. I didn't ask her name, sorry. I think she said that her mission was abroad.

Next we went to Ruby Beach. It was pretty amazing and the rocks were really fun to climb on. I got a little wet, but it was worth it. This is a must come back!

This is the hole we had to climb through to get to the good climbing parts.

Climbing is Fun!

 Believe it or not we are at about the same part in the rocks in these pictures.

This is about how far out we had to go to get the pictures of each other climbing and sitting on the rocks. I went out a little farther for Debs shot. I was trying to get all of the rock in.


Then we went to the Kalaloch Lodge for an early dinner. When we got there it was really foggy and the beach was hard to see, but by the time we left there was a really nice view. What a difference an hour makes.


before
after



 I had the Scallop Salad and Deb had some chicken and potatoes with a sage gravy and a slice of Strawberry Cake for dinner. My salad was severely over dressed, I had to hold the plate bowl sideways to drain off the excess so I could eat it.

 We drove on to Astoria, Oregon. Yep that is right I have officially only 11 more of the states to have been in all 50 states. I will get there and you can bet I will blog it. Thanks for coming along on the adventure with me. Check back tomorrow to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment