Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day Twelve

So we started off the day in the wrong direction, meaning we totally walked away from NYC and the transit to get us there for at least 30 minutes, in the rain, before we figured it out. Nevertheless, today was a day of firsts for me. My first ride on a public bus came via the NJ Transit and only cost me $3.20. Then I hopped on the Subway which cost another $8 and change for an all day unlimited pass. Pictures below:


I mentioned it was raining, but I failed to mention that it rained all day long. Here are some photos we snapped of each other walking around. Deb looked hunchbacked due to her back pack and I either looked pregnant as pictured below, or like I had an abnormal stomach with one side bigger than the next. Deb was told she looked fetching in her rain poncho.

It took 2 hours to get from our hotel to our first stop and to be honest by then I was cold, wet, tired and hungry so we had breakfast at the European Cafe. I had a quiche and Deb had a breakfast burrito. It was pretty good.



When we finished eating we headed next door to try to catch our 11 am session at the Manhattan Temple. It was so nice to leave the rain and noise of the city behind even if only briefly.






When we were done there we walked around Chinatown a bit and then headed over to Little Italy where we ordered the Mixed Family Pasta. They weren't kidding when they called it mixed it was a trio of pasta dishes, but they were all on the same plate and it was quite easy to get the flavors of one coming through on the other. The food was ok, but I think I have made better. The total cost for lunch for two was right at about $22 with tip.






Next we took Jac up on her recommendation of Ferrara's. We couldn't decide what to order so we decided to each order something and get some gelato to share. I took Jac up on her recommendation of the Pasticiollo Ricotta. Imagine if you will a mini pie crust with a cheesecake like filling. It was pretty good the menu said something about fruit, but sadly mine did not have any in it. We also decided to get some gelato since there was a display case and it looked fabulous. We chose Strawberry, Chocolate, and Pistachio. It was not as good as it looked. There was only one piece of strawberry in all of the strawberry portion, no nuts to speak of in the pistachio, and the chocolate tasted a little funny so we pretty much didn't eat it. Deb's Chocolate Mousse cake left us wishing we had gone to IKEA. The total for our visit was $26 with tip. Kinda pricey for just dessert.



At some point in the day we did get to see the Empire State Building or at least most of it. There was a lot of rain which made a fog. We tried to go to Top of the Rock as a coworker of mine suggested, but the rain and fog made visibility dim at best and I didn't wanna pay $21 to not see anything. So now I have an excuse to come back.
Many of those that know me know I am a huge Project Runway fan. So what trip to New York would be complete without a trip to Mood. Unfortunately I am not yet a New Yorker. I thought that the D train went to Penn Station so we hopped on it only to discover we wanted the 1 train. Of course we didn't realize this until we got off at Fashion Ave. So we got back on the one train and took it up one more stop to Columbus Circle where we were able to transfer to the 1 train.
Of course by this time it was 5 pm and the trains were getting full we had to wait because the first train that came by was so full we could not both get on. Below is a pic of Deb pointing at where we wanted to go.

Mood was awesome. Two floors of fabric, what could be better. It took me back to when I was a girl and my Mom would take us to Fabric King in the Palatka Mall. Sadly they did not have a button bin for me to run my hands through, but they did have a wall of buttons. Which was pretty cool. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I just wish we had more time. We arrived about an hour before closing and let me tell you I could have spent all day there. I feel like maybe I got to look at 10% of what was there. I have no idea how the designers on Project Runway can decide what to buy in only 30 minutes. We snapped some photos for those at home.

After saying thank you Mood. Yes they had t-shirts that said that for $17, we went back out into the rain and back to Times Square where we found the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. It was a blast looking around the store.


Here is a video that Deb shot of Times Square enjoy.

Check back tomorrow for more of the Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment