Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day Six

So we left the hotel just before 9am. Deb drained the cooler and I packed the car and then we looked over and saw a McDonald's and a gas station selling ice. Now I am not normally one to eat fast food, but in the interest of curiosity I suggested that we check it out. Everything in Canada seems super expensive, so we wanted to test this theory using something that we know from the states, McDonald's just happened along our path at a moment of weakness. I was hungry and it was there so we decided why not. For 2 breakfast burritos, a hash brown and a juice cost me nearly $7 Canadian. I don't know what the cost of that meal at my local McDonald's would have been, but I can almost guarantee that if it was similar I would never again make such a purchase. The 4 lb bag of ice cost $2.59.
Fed, Iced and ready to go we headed towards Quebec City. It was a pleasant drive of about 2 hours to Montmorency Falls. It cost $9.50 Canadian to enter the park by car and I would have to say it was a fun excursion. Below is the sign and the mansion they use to house two or three restaurants, washrooms, and a souvenir shop.

Walking around the grounds we spotted a suspension bridge and a path to the bottom of the falls, so we decided to walk towards it. There was a little jut in the path to a look out point of the fall which is where the picture of me is taken and the picture of Deb was taken on that bridge.



The closer we got to that path to the base of the falls however the less excited we were to attempt it.

Fortunate for us there was another way to the base and we decided to take it. It cost $11 Canadian each for a round trip. Below is a picture of our transportation and some of us in said transportation.




I have to say I think that some of the best photos of the falls were taken from that cable car in the sky. Here is one below.

After leaving the falls, we headed to Quebec city. One of the fun things about driving in French Canada is you know that you can't read the signs and they know that you can't read the signs so a lot of the signs are pictorial. Below are two of our favorites.

Mine is the 4 way stop sign with little stop signs at each junction
and Deb's was the picture of 2 signs colliding on a sign.


We were hungry once we got to the walled portion of the city so the first order of business was securing lunch. Although it was around 3pm, we had not eaten since McDonald's that morning. Ok we had some snacks in the car, but nothing significant. Below is a picture of the restaurant and one of us at our table. The cost was a bit staggering for lunch, but I guess maybe if you drink alcohol it was a good deal, the meal included soup, entree, dessert and a beer or wine; we opted for apple juice, and my total with tip was $25 Canadian, which is still $24 and change US.



We must have selected a popular restaurant since after lunch, while walking around, I found a post card of the street that we walked with the restaurant in it. Below are a few pictures of us walking around and some of the city sights. I am climbing the stairs to the top of the wall that surrounds the city. It was really cool to walk on the wall and for a brief minute we imagined it similar to walking the great wall of China.






I like these pictures of us leaving the city wall as you can see how thick the walls are built. I can just imagine a gate and a soldier standing guard.
Once we left Quebec City we headed home. In the literal sense of the word. We headed back the the good old USA. We finally got to the boarder and for once there was no line. I was so excited I didn't even see that the light was apparently red. The customs officer was not to happy to see me, but he let us pass and We are back in America, this time with every intention to stay.

It was funny we saw lots of the sign above while driving in Canada, but never any actual Moose. That all changed once we hit Maine. On the road to the hotel we passed only 4 trucks in 10 miles, but we saw 5 Moose. Some on the side of the road, one crossing the road and another with no intention of moving out of our lane.
Check back tomorrow for more of the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment